[Yum] Re: yum 2.2 (or 3?), FC3, coexistence with "old" yum (was: yum 2.1.8)

On Tue, Oct 19, 2004 at 09:05:38AM -0400, seth vidal wrote:
> On Tue, 2004-10-19 at 15:03 +0200, Axel Thimm wrote:
> > o since yum 2.2 and yum 2.0 are not compatible, there will be a
> >   transition period for old vs new metadata. It would be nice to be
> >   able to install both old and new yum. What's the best way to go?
> >   Rename yum 2.0.x to "yumold"?
>
> why would you need both installed?

See below.

> > o should yum 2.2 perhaps become yum3 and be also called that way to
> >   indicate the major change and allow coexitence with yum 2.0.x w/o
> >   renaming yum 2.0.x?
>
> no.

Why? And is this "no, no" or "<no answer>, no"? ;)

I think bumping the version to 3.0 is more than justified (especially
in relation to yum 1.x vs 2.x). Future distinction will be easier to
make in yum 1, 2 and 3 eras.

> > I am mainly thinking of the current yum repos that have yum 2.0.x
> > clients deployed and will be migrating to the new metadata format, and
> > will want to have a (rather) smooth transition (e.g. offer both
> > formats and both clients and allow a grace period for the users to
> > switch).
>
> yum-arch is available in yum 2.1.9 and above.

I am not really concerned on the server-side, but more on the
client-side. For example today's FC2 repos (or even RH7.3 repos like
Fedora Legacy) may want to switch to the new metadata format. Offering
both metadata formats on the server is not a real issue, but offering
both clients for a transition period will be due to common naming. It
would be nice to find a common way to deal with it (e.g. renaming yum
2.0.x to yum-2.0).
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net