[Yum] Re: yum 2.2 (or 3?), FC3, coexistence with "old" yum (was: yum 2.1.8)

> You seem to be quite negatively charged today, I guess. I should
> probably suggest the opposite of what I'd like ;)

<shrug>

> Anyway, changing a vital component like the metadata format of any
> repo will require a transition phase, unless you consider only future
> to come repos to use the new metadata format, where you don't need to
> care about backwards compatibility. If you don't hint to a solution,
> you will find that the repos will invent wild renaming schemes that
> will make you far more unhappier than the current discussion.

repos will do all sorts of broken crap no matter what I suggest.

futurwe changes in the metadata format/versioning is why we have xml versioning.

> And BTW, there is (vendor packaged!) python 2.2.2 available for RH7.3.
> yum 2.0.x w/python2 is deployed on quite a lot of RH7.3 boxes already

the rpmmodule was not included with python 2.2.2 in rhl 7.3, iirc. If a
user wants to upgrade rpm, upgrade rpm-python, upgrade libxml2 and who
knows what else, more power to them, I can't stop them, nor will I. But
I also can't see why I should support a yum 2.0.X and a yum 2.1.X
install on that system.

-sv