[Yum] Re: yum 2.2 (or 3?), FC3, coexistence with "old" yum (was: yum 2.1.8)

On Tue, Oct 19, 2004 at 04:17:06PM +0200, Matthias Saou wrote:
> Axel Thimm wrote :
> > I am not really concerned on the server-side, but more on the
> > client-side. For example today's FC2 repos (or even RH7.3 repos
> > like Fedora Legacy) may want to switch to the new metadata
> > format. Offering both metadata formats on the server is not a real
> > issue, but offering both clients for a transition period will be
> > due to common naming. It would be nice to find a common way to
> > deal with it (e.g. renaming yum 2.0.x to yum-2.0).

> BTW, why would you want to offer _both_ clients? Once yum 2.2 goes final
> and gets well tested, people should start using it instead, and any bugs
> reported against it should get fixed (which is better than getting advice
> like "switch back to yum 2.0.x"), and we'll all live happily ever after.

That's true for a one-repo-user, but not for a multiple-repo-user
where the repos will not support the new metadata format in the same
minute.

And having the package manager broken is quite severe, of course I
would urge all to downgrade if that should happen (God beware),
instead of having security fixes fly by while waiting for a depsolver
fix ;)

More concrete I would like to deploy yum-tng or whatever soon in
bleeding/testing repos to shake out any bugs in the field (or
voluntary testers that is ;)
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net