[Yum] Re: yum 2.2 (or 3?), FC3, coexistence with "old" yum (was: yum 2.1.8)

Axel Thimm wrote :

> Anyway, changing a vital component like the metadata format of any
> repo will require a transition phase, unless you consider only future
> to come repos to use the new metadata format, where you don't need to
> care about backwards compatibility. If you don't hint to a solution,
> you will find that the repos will invent wild renaming schemes that
> will make you far more unhappier than the current discussion.

Hmm, "changing the metadata format", no, "adding the new metadata format"
is what should happen. All of ayo.freshrpms.net works with apt, yum 2.0.x
and also has the new metadata ever since createrepo 0.3.something came out.
The transition is as smooth as it can be since the same URLs work
transparently with yum 2.0.x and 2.1.x... I really don't see how easier it
can get? Could you please explain a bit more in details in case I'm missing
something?

Matthias

Fedora Core release 2.91 (FC3 Test 2) - Linux kernel 2.6.8-1.607.radeon
Load : 3.83 4.43 4.31