Re: Youtube Videos Don't Play in Fedora

On 7/12/22 15:35, Tim via users wrote:
On Wed, 2022-12-07 at 09:03 +1100, Stephen Morris wrote:
Pipewire doesn't work. It was videos not playing without audio muted
that started this thread. And from what I've seen on the net there is
potentially a lot of manual configuration required to get pipewire to
work, so my view on what I'm seeing is pipewire is not exactly stable.
I also can't remove pulseaudio because pulseaudio-module-bluetooth want
to remove Gnome-shell.
It does on my Fedora 36 installation, without me doing anything.  I did
a default fresh install, and this's what it installed, I didn't do any
customisation of audio:  It has pipepire and wireplumber, there's no
pulseaudio.  I haven't tried swapping or having two conflicting things
together.  I'm yet to try Fedora 37.  I do have an issue where the
volume control applet (MATE) keeps crashing, but it reloads and audio
is still playing before, during, and after.  The crashing is a recent
thing, in the last few weeks.  I hadn't had it before then.

So I'm inclined to say it does "work," but there's some aspect of it
that's a problem with your system.  Possibly because you did an upgrade
install you've inherited a conflict.  I stopped doing them years ago
because of that kind of thing (amongst other upgrade problems - like it
taking an age to work out what packages to install, me spending ages
managing choice conflicts, very slow installs, lots of config
debugging, etc).

I've noted throughout your thread that you also have problems with
pulseaudio, and getting youtube videos to even start playing (here,
they'll play even without any audio hardware enabled).  So, it sounds
like you have quite a few conflicts.

Do you have a spare hard drive that you can try a fresh install to,
with your usual drive unplugged?  Or can you try running a live disc?
I've just gotten back on after a fresh install, because I tried a suggestion in an earlier thread to remove packages by passing dependencies and removed pulseaudio and after doing that and rebooting both Gnome and KDE refused to start. I installed F36 from a live cd and it installed both pipewire and pulseaudio and configured the system to use pulseaudio, and youtube videos play properly with sound. After installing F36 I tried using dnf swap pulseaudio pipewire, but that refused to proceed complaining pulseaudio couldn't be replaced by pipewire because that process wanted to uninstall gnome-shell. I've upgraded to F37 and the youtube videos are still playing properly, I haven't verified yet whether pulseaudio is still installed, but I'm assuming it is given the gnome-shell issue. I had to do the F36 and upgrade to F37 twice because the first upgrade to F37 destroyed my system. After the first upgrade every time I didn't anything on the desktop everything would flash.

regards,
Steve