Re: Youtube Videos Don't Play in Fedora

On Sun, 27 Nov 2022 15:07:47 +1100
Stephen Morris <samorris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 26/11/22 03:52, stan via users wrote:
> > On Wed, 23 Nov 2022 09:32:20 +1100
> > Stephen Morris <samorris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> >> There's nothing confidential in the pages. The page at the below
> >> link displays fine in Chrome and Firefox but with any of the pages
> >> linked to from this page, none of them will display in Chrome and
> >> in Firefox Nightly I have to click the reload button to get them
> >> to display. The fourth page link in the last column has a youtube
> >> video embedded in the page and a link up to youtube as well and
> >> neither video will display. In Firefox Nightly I have the option
> >> to play DRM content turned on and I also have the Openh264 codec
> >> from Cisco and the Widevine Content Decryption Module from Google
> >> plugins installed as well. I turned off the youtube enhancement
> >> plugins I have installed but that seemed to make no difference.
> >> https://rog.asus.com/support/FAQ/1043748
> > I updated to the latest nightly, and visited the link above.  I
> > don't have any problem visiting links on that page, but I'm not
> > sure how to find the link with the youtube video.  This is a
> > screenshot of the page.  I visited the yellow link, and it
> > displayed without issue.
> >
> > https://pasteboard.co/7v4WnLCIwhjG.png
> Looking at your screenshot with the text highlighted in yellow, the
> 4th cell in that column has a video in the page that is displayed and
> that won't play for me.

Thanks for the pointer.  I have no trouble playing that video in
nightly.  So, something differs in our configuration.  But finding it?
Ha! That will be a problem.  Try running nightly from a term with
with --safe-mode after the exec.  Or, as a different user.  Here, I have
nightly installed in /usr/local/bin, so I would run
/usr/local/bin/firefox --safe-mode
That should give you messages in the term when it fails.