Re: Youtube Videos Don't Play in Fedora

On Mon, 21 Nov 2022 18:44:57 +1100
Stephen Morris <samorris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi,
>      I have booked marked a support/tips page from the suppliers of
> the Asus motherboard and the pages the main page links to contains
> Youtube videos. The videos wouldn't play in Firefox Nightly, nor
> would they display in Google Chrome, they just showed a message
> saying "If the video doesn't start to play restart your device", and
> a reboot of Fedora didn't change anything.
>      I've just upgraded to F37 via dnf and loaded the main page into
> Firefox Nightly and when I link to a page containing a video, the
> video now displays a blue twistie (play button) and continually spins
> on that button without playing anything, although it does seem to a
> cache some data. In both F36 and F37 when I load the main bookmarked
> page I have to do a reload before it will display anything.
>      When I load the page into Google Chrome in F37, like in Firefox
> the page doesn't display the page body and unlike in Firefox it
> doesn't matter how many times I reload the page it doesn't display
> the page body. How do I determine what the issues are given that the
> same pages loaded into Firefox Nightly and Google Chrome in Windows
> display without any issues.

I have no trouble playing youtube videos on f37 with nightly.  So, my
suggestion is to run nightly from a terminal so you can see what it is
choking on.

[invoke nightly] --new-instance --ProfileManager

Set up a new profile that has no existing configuration.

Then see what messages appear.

I *have* been having a weird issue with nightly for a few weeks, where
it doesn't start, but hangs when I start it.  I have found a
workaround, but not a cause.  I just invoke chromium, and as soon as it
appears, I close it.  Then the above command to start nightly works
again.  I assume there is some library that isn't being loaded
properly, and the initiation of chromium loads it, and then nightly
works too.  I am using LXDE, which the package maintainer says is no
longer being maintained properly, so that could be the issue.  I've
noticed that the menus have a different appearance recently, so some
system library change could be responsible.

Another possibility is that mesa recently removed support for vaapi
because of patent issues, and that you need the rpmfusion freeworld
version to re-enable it.  If you have rpmfusion enabled,
dnf swap mesa-va-drivers mesa-va-drivers-freeworld