Re: Youtube Videos Don't Play in Fedora

On 23/11/22 03:02, stan via users wrote:
On Tue, 22 Nov 2022 09:47:47 +1100
Stephen Morris <samorris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I *have* been having a weird issue with nightly for a few weeks,
where it doesn't start, but hangs when I start it.  I have found a
workaround, but not a cause.  I just invoke chromium, and as soon
as it appears, I close it.  Then the above command to start nightly
works again.  I assume there is some library that isn't being loaded
properly, and the initiation of chromium loads it, and then nightly
works too.  I am using LXDE, which the package maintainer says is no
longer being maintained properly, so that could be the issue.  I've
noticed that the menus have a different appearance recently, so some
system library change could be responsible.
I'm running Firefox nightly on KDE and I don't see this issue, and
under linux I don't see the issue that I see in Firefox Nightly under
windows, which is when there is an update to put on the startup of
Firefox Nightly displays a white screen which gets closed, presumably
because it has found there is an unapplied update, and then displays
its normal interface.
With the start issue you have, do you have the Gnome shell plugin
installed that provides direct install functionality from
Gnome-looks.org, etc? From what I can see the components that plugin
requires are tied to Google Chrome, and it worked fine in Chrome but
I had issues with it in Firefox Nightly getting it to recognise that
those components were actually installed from the repositories, and
from what I've seen that process seems to have changed recently in
that the component in the repositories seem to have been superseded.
I seem to remember seeing an update saying that a package being
installed was replacing the original package.
I haven't noticed any changes to the menus in Firefox Nightly, but
then I haven't really taken a lot of notice of those as I haven't
turned on the option to permanently display them.
I'm not running Gnome (LXDE), but this makes a lot of sense.  It might
be that chromium recognizes those components and loads them, and then
when nightly runs it sees them too, and then uses them.
I'm using KDE but I have played around with that interface under Gnome by installing the relevant packages from the repositories, and I seem to remember it worked fine in Chrome but I had all sorts of issues with getting Firefox Nightly to recognise the components were installed even though it was supposed to work with Firefox and I had the firefox Gnome Shell plugin installed in Firefox Nightly. It's been that long since I tried this that I don't remember if I ever managed to get it to work in Firefox Nightly.

Another possibility is that mesa recently removed support for vaapi
because of patent issues, and that you need the rpmfusion freeworld
version to re-enable it.  If you have rpmfusion enabled,
dnf swap mesa-va-drivers mesa-va-drivers-freeworld
I have rpmfusion enabled so I'll have a look at these and also look
at the multimedia link that Greg has provided to see it that sheds
any light on the issue. One issue might be that I used to have
codec's installed that provided the necessary functionality but those
codec are no longer installed, possibly because of re-installing F36
from scratch when I did my hardware upgrade and moved away from raid
so that I could run Linux natively instead of in a VM.
If it isn't confidential, you could provide a link, and I could check
whether it works here.  Another data point.
There's nothing confidential in the pages. The page at the below link displays fine in Chrome and Firefox but with any of the pages linked to from this page, none of them will display in Chrome and in Firefox Nightly I have to click the reload button to get them to display. The fourth page link in the last column has a youtube video embedded in the page and a link up to youtube as well and neither video will display. In Firefox Nightly I have the option to play DRM content turned on and I also have the Openh264 codec from Cisco and the Widevine Content Decryption Module from Google plugins installed as well. I turned off the youtube enhancement plugins I have installed but that seemed to make no difference. I'm not sure what the issue is here at the moment, maybe it is codecs that the upgrade from F36 to F37 have removed as video's on youtube that played fine in Firefox Nightly under F36 now won't play under F37, neither will they display in Chrome either. I did find an app called Videos already installed in the multimedia menus, and when I used that I found in there some trailer videos for Apple TV, which played without issue albeit without Audio. I also tried the web interface to netflix that worked fine in F36 and it doesn't play any of the videos either in F37.

https://rog.asus.com/support/FAQ/1043748

regards,
Steve