Re: Youtube Videos Don't Play in Fedora

On Wed, 30 Nov 2022 09:50:51 +1100
Stephen Morris <samorris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> To try to rectify this issue I did the following:
>      Uninstalled and reinstalled Gnome via the dnf group
>      Did a dnf groupupdate on all groups that looked like they had
> something to do with audio/videos for Gnome and KDE, except the
> multimedia group because of conflicts with one installed package
> which can't be removed because a protected package had a dependency
> on the package in question.
>      I uninstalled and re-installed pulseaudio.
>      Used dnfdragora to install all packages that looked like they
> had something to do with codecs and audio/video libraries.
>      Then when I had finished that I tried loading some youtube
> videos into Firefox Nightly and those videos played without disabling
> the audio but they did not produce any audio.
>      I shutdown last night and when I started up this morning I again
> tried to play the same youtube videos in Firefox Nightly and it is
> back to the original state of not playing the videos unless audio is
> disabled in the video.
>      Now that there is an audio interface in KDE System Settings that
> seems to be interfacing to pulseaudio, and when I try to test the
> sound from the stereo speakers for my headphones I get the message
> "Error trying to play a test sound. The system said: 'Invalid state'".
>      The pulseaudio manager seems to be indicating that pulseaudio is
> using alsa backend modules to connect to the playback devices, also
> switching devices doesn't make any difference to the issue.
>
>      I also tried issuing the command sudo systemctl
> is-system-running and that returned the response "degraded".
>
>      How do I determine what is causing the current state?

I don't have an answer, since I haven't had an issue like this. I
wonder if you somehow got pipewire installed as a dependency, as it is
the default in f37. If you did, pulseaudio and pipewire will be stepping
on each others toes, because they are both trying to control the same
devices via alsa.

rpm -q pipewire

Is there anything in journalctl when this happens?

journalctl -r

Have you looked at the pavucontrol output when you are trying to do
this?  What is the default device set in pavucontrol?  Does it show
audio playing even though there is no sound?

Have you tried using alsamixer to look at the settings for the
default device?  You will have to specify the card in order to get the
actual configuration of alsa, since pulseaudio has captured it.
Something like
alsamixer -c3
where 3 is the card number that is shown for the default device from
aplay -l
Your number will probably be 0 or 1.