Re: LicenseRef-Fedora-SourceLicenses (Was: Re: SPDX Statistics - R.U.R. edition)

Dne 18. 01. 24 v 14:09 Vít Ondruch napsal(a):

Dne 18. 01. 24 v 0:01 Richard Fontana napsal(a):
On Wed, Jan 17, 2024 at 5:47 PM Mark Wielaard <mark@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi Richard,

Going to chop this discssion into smaller parts.

On Fri, Nov 24, 2023 at 08:07:02PM +0100, Mark Wielaard wrote:
On Mon, 2023-09-18 at 20:47 -0400, Richard Fontana wrote:
I think anyone should be free to propose a new umbrella identifier (in
SPDX expression format) that would cover multiple licenses, as we've
done with `LicenseRef-Fedora-Public-Domain` and
`LicenseRef-Fedora-UltraPermissive`. The important thing is that it be
well defined in some way.
One idea would be to just collect all licenses, copyrights and notices
as found in the actual sources and put them into one file put in the
srpm. Kind of like debian/copyright. The advantage is that you then
don't have to find some exact (or inexact) match with specific
identifiers and that it can be shared with upstream and/or other
distros. For the packager they can just put
LicenseRef-Fedora-SourceLicenses in the License field instead of
trying to come up with some expression that mimics the actual license
texts. For the users it is also easier to have the actual license
notices text all together in a known place/file.
I would support this idea if we were starting from scratch. The
problem is that Fedora (and Red Hat) have had this tradition of *not*
doing that, and this tradition of (instead?) using the License: tag
for RPMs, so a move to  Debian copyright sort of system would be a
much more radical change than, say, the switch from Callaway notation
to SPDX license expressions. I expect it would meet massive resistance
from Fedora package maintainers. I could be wrong though. :)

A possible idea is to have this be an optional approach the package
maintainer could take, more or less as you describe. I have thought of
something like that. When I suggested something similar to this idea
to my fellow Fedora Legal/SPDX Migration team members, I think their
general sentiment was skeptical to negative.

It seems to me that SPDX on itself supports:

~~~

DocumentRef-"(idstring)"

~~~

https://spdx.github.io/spdx-spec/v2.3/SPDX-license-expressions/

Therefore if we support SPDX and SPDX supports this, then we support it, don't we?

Vít

BTW this is interesting discussion about license field not being expressive enough:

https://github.com/puma/puma/issues/3311#issuecomment-1886065710

TLDR: "What I do not want is for someone to think BSD, MIT in the license field applies to the entire Puma project, as that is not how this project is licensed. We're talking about 50 lines of code in a 5000+ line library, giving the two equal billing in the licenses field doesn't describe what's happening here."

And that is the context where I hit the DocumentRef

Vít

Anyway, I don't think this idea should be dismissed, but it would be
challenging to adopt. We should possibly admit to ourselves that the
License: tag approach was always highly flawed and we've basically
been putting bandaids on it.

It should be noted that if we switched to this sort of approach it
wouldn't mean abandoning the use of SPDX identifiers since we'd still
use them for purposes of license approval and license classification,
and conceivably also in the equivalent of the "copyright" file itself.

If I remember correctly, someone on this list (Neal?) said they
weren't overly fond of the dep5 format.

Richard