When can license notices be removed or not (Was: [Fedora-legal-list] Re: SPDX Statistics - R.U.R. edition)

Hi Richard,

On Fri, Nov 24, 2023 at 08:07:02PM +0100, Mark Wielaard wrote:
> On Mon, 2023-09-18 at 20:47 -0400, Richard Fontana wrote:
> > On Sun, Sep 17, 2023 at 11:37 AM Mark Wielaard <mark@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > > Something similar is done in glibc. For example several files I
> > > contributed to were adapted from some BSD release and have a file
> > > header saying the file is copyright the Free Software Foundation,
> > > Inc. This file is part of the GNU C Library. And the state they are
> > > distributed under the GNU Lesser General Public License 2.1 or
> > > later. But also have the original BSD notice in the file:
> > >
> > > /*-
> > >  * Copyright (c) 1990, 1993, 1994
> > >  *      The Regents of the University of California.  All rights reserved.
> > >  *
> > >  * Redistribution and use in source and binary forms, with or without
> > >  * modification, are permitted provided that the following conditions
> > >  * are met:
> > >  * 1. Redistributions of source code must retain the above copyright
> > >  *    notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer.
> > >  * 2. Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above copyright
> > >  *    notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer in the
> > >  *    documentation and/or other materials provided with the distribution.
> > >  * 4. Neither the name of the University nor the names of its contributors
> > >  *    may be used to endorse or promote products derived from this software
> > >  *    without specific prior written permission.
> > >  *
> > >  * THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED BY THE REGENTS AND CONTRIBUTORS ``AS IS'' AND
> > >  * ANY EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE
> > >  * IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE
> > >  * ARE DISCLAIMED.  IN NO EVENT SHALL THE REGENTS OR CONTRIBUTORS BE LIABLE
> > >  * FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY, OR CONSEQUENTIAL
> > >  * DAMAGES (INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, PROCUREMENT OF SUBSTITUTE GOODS
> > >  * OR SERVICES; LOSS OF USE, DATA, OR PROFITS; OR BUSINESS INTERRUPTION)
> > >  * HOWEVER CAUSED AND ON ANY THEORY OF LIABILITY, WHETHER IN CONTRACT, STRICT
> > >  * LIABILITY, OR TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE OR OTHERWISE) ARISING IN ANY WAY
> > >  * OUT OF THE USE OF THIS SOFTWARE, EVEN IF ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF
> > >  * SUCH DAMAGE.
> > >  */
> > >
> > > But this is not the (effective) licenses, and there is no way to use
> > > the code under that license, since all contributions since 1994 have
> > > been done under the LGPL.
> >
> > Again, someone is making an assumption that something is there that is
> > still subject to that license, because otherwise it could be removed.
>
> No it cannot be removed. And no it doesn't mean it is still subject to
> that license. There is a Ship of Theseus argument to be made to just
> remove to no longer applicable notice. But a) that would just be rude.
> And b) the notice itself and the effective license both explicitly say
> you must retain the notice.

> [...]

Although I don't like the advice I am interested when such license
notices can be removed. That would make some discussions about whether
or not to include extra tags/expressions easier (if it is possible to
just remove the notice, then it also doesn't need to be mentioned in a
license tag/expression).

It was my understanding that legal notices can never be removed,
because most licenses actually say you may not remove them, but that
might be chicken-egg reasoning :)

Cheers,

Mark