Re: Licensing translations provided via Zanata (and now Weblate)

On Thu, 2020-01-09 at 14:46 -0500, Tom Callaway wrote:
> In the US, translations are an original copyrighted work, not a
> derivative
> copyrighted work.
>
> That said, the Fedora FPCA is different from most CLAs, in that its
> sole
> purpose is to ensure that Fedora has permission to use contributions
> without an explicit license under a Free license (MIT for code, CC-
> BY-SA
> for content). If a contribution is made with a different Free license
> (e.g.
> same as the upstream), Fedora uses that licensing.
>
> So, lets step through the process:
>
> = No explicit license =
> 1. A Fedora contributor makes translation changes and contributes
> their
> changes to Fedora, without indicating a license.
> 2. The Fedora FPCA says that Fedora (and anyone who receives that
> contribution from Fedora) can use that change under CC-BY-SA (I'm
> guessing
> that translations count as content).
> 3. The upstream can take the changes from Fedora under CC-BY-SA.
>
> OR
>
> = Explicit license =
> 1. A Fedora contributor makes translation changes and contributes
> their
> changes to Fedora under a specific license (e.g. BSD, because that is
> what
> upstream uses).
> 2. Fedora takes those contributions under the BSD license. (The FPCA
> permits this, as long as the license is acceptable for Fedora, aka, a
> Free
> license.)
> 3. The upstream can take the changes from Fedora under BSD.

The way I see it, it’s impossible to verify whether all contributions
came implicitly-licensed, so would it be a safe assumption now to mark
the license in Weblate as CC-BY-SA-3.0? Neither Zanata nor Weblate
really account for each contribution possibly being licensed
differently.

> Does that help?

Yes, it does, thank you.

--
Ernestas Kulik
Associate Software Engineer - Base Operating Systems (Core