Re: Atomic 2 week releases

On 03/13/2015 02:58 PM, Matthew Miller wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 13, 2015 at 02:26:42PM -0400, Joe Brockmeier wrote:
>> We are on the hook for an Atomic Host release for F22, but I think I'd
>> rather message why we're putting our weight behind a rapid-release host
>> based on Fedora than dealing with two competing Fedora-based offerings.
> Has the spinner deciding whether the rapid-release host will be based
> on Rawhide or on $current come to a definitive rest yet?
>
> If the focus is on Rawhide, and we don't have interest / resources in
> keeping the $current branch up to date, I share Joe's concern — not
> just for confusion due to too many options, but also because in that
> case $current would almost always be the wrong choice (lagging CentOS
> and even RHEL). I think this would weigh heavily towards presenting
> that rawhide-based output on its own atomic.fpo home, because if
> $current is really going to be $outofdate, new users _will_ inevitably
> get the wrong thing.
>
> If development is done in Rawhide but also released to $current on a
> two-week cycle, I might have other worries, but this wouldn't be one of
> them. :)

Apologies for joining in late folks.  I'd like to summarize (I hope) a few points that have been made in this thread and in a handful of side-conversations.

If we want something that is able to be consistently released every two weeks, we will likely struggle with rawhide.  Although we all want rawhide to be usable day to day, it is not guaranteed to be stable and/or able to be built.  We, the Atomic team, are in no position to either A) force it to be stable or B) apply even more effort as part of Atomic beyond the core work to ensure that rawhide stabilizes every two weeks.

So this pushes us in the $current direction.

The primary concern with $current is that Atomic may, for a narrow set of core packages, wish to run slightly ahead of what is in updates-stable for $current.  However, I think this is more of a hypothetical/future concern at the moment.  The core elements (docker, kubernetes, and rpm-ostree/ostree) are being pushed out to updates-testing (and our CentOS CBS builds) pretty rapidly.  If we have a problem, it's that they are not being tested and/or promoted.

So, two concrete options to consider:

* Option 1

We target our 2 week release efforts at $current, which should involve a greater focus on testing and karma-ing the Atomic components as they show up in updates-testing.

This gets us the stable base and gets non-Atomic $current users a nice flow of updates to popular and topical packages.

And, at the risk of stating the obvious, this in no way prevents rawhide Atomic spins.  The road to updates-testing passes through rawhide and the rawhide nightly compose, AIUI, already includes attempts at Atomic tree composes and Atomic images builds.

* Option 2

If at some point we feel we must carry some Atomic-focused updates that are not appropriate for $current, we maintain a very small side-tag to hold them.  This is essentially what we are already doing for CentOS in the "atomic7-testing" tag on the CBS koji instance here:

http://cbs.centos.org/koji/taginfo?tagID=40

Who exactly manages this tag and how content is promoted into it is TBD.

I personally think we should at least try Option 1 with 2 as a fallback.

Thoughts?

-Ian