Re: We're planning to move Council discussions

On Tue, Nov 10, 2020 at 3:28 PM Matthew Miller <mattdm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 10, 2020 at 10:11:29AM -0800, Kevin Fenzi wrote:
> > Matrix definitely has advantages over IRC, but I kind of feel like it's
> > not gone far enough... the zulip threading seems like a step up over
> > that. (Of course I have not used zulip day to day either).
>
> I'm interested to try it for sure. Ironically though, I'm not excited
> about the "topics" feature as they've described it in their "features"
> slideshow:
>
>    Messages in Zulip retain their context even if they’re sent hours
>    after the conversation started .... Without topics, it’s hard to
>    catch up efficiently, and hard to participate in conversations that
>    started while you were away.
>
> ... because I really don't _want_ that from a real-time chat platform.
> I don't need _another_ place to check an ever-growing backlog. It seems
> like this is actually designed to replace _both_ real-time chat and
> async messaging like an email list or web forum, and ... I'm not sure
> I'm ready for that. :)

This feature in Slack exhausts me. It has a high tendency to require
managing many more parallel threads of conversations, and it's
mentally draining to keep up.

That said, I have a slightly larger criticism of Zulip over Matrix,
and that is that Zulip is an inherently closed platform, like
Mattermost, Slack, and others like them. Today, anyone from any
community can trivially join our IRC channels and participate in
discussions. This aspect of IRC is something that Matrix carries
further than any other option through its federation functionality.
For example, since I launched the Fedora KDE SIG Matrix room, we now
have members from the KDE community actively collaborating with us in
the Fedora KDE Matrix room. They can join our room from the KDE Matrix
homeserver. I presume that eventually we'll see the same benefit for
GNOME and Fedora Workstation once they finally get their stuff in
order.

In general, now that Matrix has a number of clients and has a
well-defined standard, communities are starting to more aggressively
adopt it. The Mozilla IRC server is now just a gateway to the Mozilla
Matrix server, for example. And I would easily foresee us doing the
same once we switch over to our own Matrix server.

The openSUSE Project is also in the process of rehoming onto Matrix,
and already *has* a server up and running. Debian has done the same,
too.

>From my perspective, I'd like for us to focus on a transition to a
Matrix-first world for real-time communication.