Re: Code of Conduct and Fedora Planet

On 28/03/2020 10:16, Till Maas wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Sat, Mar 28, 2020 at 02:05:36AM +0100, Daniel Pocock wrote:
>> On 28/03/2020 01:37, Chris Punches wrote:
>>> It's fine if I don't have a vote, I was just hoping it would.
>>>
>>> I'm not sure if it's on topic, but, it's a fascinating tangent --
>>

>> Not really - it is a violation of the dignity and privacy of my family
>> that has been ongoing since September 2018
>
> as far as I can see, you chose to share private details about your
> family and continue to do so.

People were mislead to question why I resigned from some of my
voluntary activities.  The commit in Fedora's Planet config adds fuel to
that fire.  Faced with innuendo and questions every time I attend a
meeting or event, I felt that discussing some of the things that
actually happened was the only way to shut down the gossip and try to
get back to a focus on development.

I would not have chosen to spontaneously share that information.

>> It simply needs to end and all records of this ever happening need to be
>> purged - after all, that is what the GDPR promises
>
> You seem to contradict your self. You seem to demand that everything is
> done in public and at the same time want everything to be removed. This
> is not constructive behavior.

Unfortunately a lot of what people have written in various places is
innuendo and accusatory.  It isn't easy to selectively delete the
nonsense and keep the factual information.

Yet the principle of suddenly removing blogs about leadership issues is
dangerous.

Fedora Planet's guidelines don't require blogs to be strictly Fedora or
non-political.  Many technical topics do involve politics: for example,
there is a blog on Planet at the moment opposing e-voting.  There is
overlap between organizations: some Fedora developers donate to other
campaigns.  Fedora considers OSI input on licensing issues.  Governance
questions, relationships between organizations and conflicts of interest
are relevant.  Some people would like to live in a silo, some people
don't.  It isn't possible to have a communication platform that
perfectly meets the expectations of every user.

The guidelines[1] state that "the Fedora Project's contributors do
attempt to resolve every such situation constructively and amicably".
In the case of my blog, they stated that they had observed blog posts
about challenges in the wider community, they had not made any contact
with me about any of them and then they suddenly removed the feed.  They
could have simply asked me to untag some posts, I may well have agreed
to that.

Regards,

Daniel

1. https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Planet?rd=Planet_HowTo