Re: Code of Conduct and Fedora Planet

On 27/03/2020 19:45, Matthew Miller wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 25, 2020 at 11:00:49PM +0100, Daniel Pocock wrote:
>> You sent me a private email asking me to confirm that
>> “I agreed to comply with Fedora’s Code of Conduct”
>>
>> I will choose to rephrase that: I agree to take Fedora's Code of Conduct
>> into consideration.  I feel that we all interpret these Codes of Conduct
>> in a slightly different manner.  When I see a volunteer being
>> mistreated, which is what I saw in Debian during the Christmas period
>> 2018, I won't be silenced by a code of obedience.
>
> We need Fedora to be a place where people can participate and
> contribute without fear. The Code of Conduct isn’t a tool for
> bludgeoning people into compliance. It’s a basic part of the social
> contract by which our community works. If you can’t agree to abide by
> it, that’s certainly your right. I’m not interested in forcing anyone.
> But those who can’t agree can’t be Fedora Project members or
> contributors.

Removing somebody's blog and then talking to them about the issue
retrospectively feels like bludgeoning.

I fully agree with you in principle: that is why I proposed to meet in
person, next time we have the opportunity to do so.  When people meet as
peers (the words I used), neither has cause to fear the other.

As I said, I agree to take the Code of Conduct into consideration.  I
don't see it as a silver bullet but that doesn't mean I repudiate it.
For example, I feel that investing in regular events and leadership
skills is more valuable than asking people to tick a box accepting a
Code of Conduct.

Nonetheless, to make it clear, I agree to respect and abide by the Code
of Conduct to the greatest extent possible.

The Code of Conduct, like many others states "Different people have
different perspectives on issues".  I understand that for some people,
the hidden conflicts of interest don't matter.  For other people they
matter a lot, almost like a theft.  How do you resolve that contradiction?

When Catholic priests were accused of wrongdoing, the church decided to
give them the benefit of the doubt.  Their Code of Conduct suggested
that complaints could be resolved by saying more prayers[2], they didn't
want rogue priests to /fear/ consequences.  The situations we have now
don't equate to child abuse in any way, but your suggestion above that
we should eliminate all fear raises ethical and philosophical questions
that I am far from qualified to answer: if people in positions of trust
don't /fear/ questions about their actions, there are always some
people[3] who will indulge themselves in doing wrong.

Please kindly put back my blog, I see no immediate answers to such dilemmas.

Regards,

Daniel

1. https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/project/code-of-conduct/
2.