Re: misrepresentation, moving thread to council-discuss

On 24/03/2020 18:08, Kevin Fenzi wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 24, 2020 at 02:37:56PM +0100, Daniel Pocock wrote:
> ...snip...
>
> Lets refrain from Holocaust and rape comparisons, they are completely
> uncalled for.
>
> I'd like to once again ask for this thread to die and folks to move back
> to Fedora devel topics.

While I understand your personal desire to kill the thread, I don't feel
it is fair to do so by misrepresenting or exaggerating anybody else's
comments.

If you simply write "I'm making an executive decision to kill the
thread" then people know where you stand and you can claim to be
neutral.  We all know running these tools is far from easy.

The comments you refer to were about people in leadership positions who
acted from early in their career to exclude certain groups.  For
example, Herr Hitler was disparaging the Jews at least 20 years before
starting the Holocaust.  In 1919, he wrote[1] about having different
laws/Code of Conduct for Jews.  No mention of any gas chambers in the
Gemlich letter[1], only a legal "demotion" for Jewish Germans.  The
enormity of his abuses are in no way comparable but the general
attitude, that Hitler or Weinstein could simply make somebody else
disappear because they were the boss, is a fair comparison.  You used
the word rape, but it appears that Weinstein never raped the women who
he spread gossip[2] about.  What matters is that he had a deliberate
intention to attack their careers: the same intention is clearly obvious
in writings from Chris Lamb and Sam Hartman in Debian.

This is the nature of analogies and metaphors: there is no claim that
they are identical in every way to the situation at hand.  Metaphors are
a legitimate form of speech.

To be absolutely clear, /you/ chose the word Holocaust but I would never
use the word Holocaust to describe the aggressive removal of community
representatives in free software organizations.  Both acts are evil but
one is a lot more evil than the other.

The council-discuss list only appears to have 5 users[2] so I don't know
if this topic will actually be noticed there but in case anybody else
does want to continue there, please subscribe[3], I've added the council
list on CC.

Regards,

Daniel

1. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gemlich_letter