Re: Monkeying with words: "Objective Lead" to "Initiative Lead"

As yet another non-native English speaker, my understanding of the
difference is as follows:

Objective: has clear scope and clear time lines
Initiative: the scope is developing as we go and there are no time
lines, or time lines are vague, not exactly defined

So, I am aligned with Josh and Robyduck in the meaning.

Regards,
Jan

On Wed, Jun 14, 2017 at 4:56 PM, Robert Mayr <robyduck@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> What about projects?  As in Fedora Project projects :P
>>
>> /me ducks
>>
>> Serious reply below.

>>> I think a little more like the latter; I think people's understanding
>>> of "objective" seems to be either an immediate task (maybe like "this
>>> quarter") or else something really big (more like "vision" in a formal
>>> model). I was aiming for what's possibly a _series_ of objectives over
>>> a 12-18 month period. I also like "work items spread across multiple
>>> areas" from your second point - that's one of the reasons we wanted
>>> these at the Council level.
>>
>> I think that both work.  I'd like the input of some non-American English
>> speakers for which is more commonly understood.  That's the one we
>> should pick.
>>
>> regards,
>>
>> bex
>
> Ok, so as a non native speaker the terms are quite different and are
> as Josh said.
> Objective: this is an official thing a group works for, in a given
> timeframe, and they make also investments to reach the objective in a
> successful way.
> Initiative: it's less important, it is an initiative a group is
> working on, can be successful or even not. There can be many
> initiatives in the same moment, but a group will probably not make
> investments on them.
>
> In my understanding we are working on objectives, and we want to be
> successful with them, allocating also budget for them.
> But remember, it's the understanding of a non native speaker and how
> they are used in my language(s). So, if you want to go for Initiative
> because there is a reason in the English wording, then I'm fine with
> it.
> Regards
>
> --
> Robert Mayr
> (robyduck)

Jan Kuřík
Platform & Fedora Program Manager
Red Hat Czech s.r.o., Purkynova 99/71, 612 45 Brno, Czech Republic