Re: Monkeying with words: "Objective Lead" to "Initiative Lead"

> What about projects?  As in Fedora Project projects :P
>
> /me ducks
>
> Serious reply below.

>> > I don't object, but I don't understand the difference or why it matters.  To me:
>> >
>> > - objective: concrete thing you want to accomplish in a given timeframe
>> > - initiative: set of related work items spread across multiple areas,
>> > usually with a timeline much longer than an objective
>> >
>> > Which did you originally envision Fedora having?
>>
>> I think a little more like the latter; I think people's understanding
>> of "objective" seems to be either an immediate task (maybe like "this
>> quarter") or else something really big (more like "vision" in a formal
>> model). I was aiming for what's possibly a _series_ of objectives over
>> a 12-18 month period. I also like "work items spread across multiple
>> areas" from your second point - that's one of the reasons we wanted
>> these at the Council level.
>
> I think that both work.  I'd like the input of some non-American English
> speakers for which is more commonly understood.  That's the one we
> should pick.
>
> regards,
>
> bex

Ok, so as a non native speaker the terms are quite different and are
as Josh said.
Objective: this is an official thing a group works for, in a given
timeframe, and they make also investments to reach the objective in a
successful way.
Initiative: it's less important, it is an initiative a group is
working on, can be successful or even not. There can be many
initiatives in the same moment, but a group will probably not make
investments on them.

In my understanding we are working on objectives, and we want to be
successful with them, allocating also budget for them.
But remember, it's the understanding of a non native speaker and how
they are used in my language(s). So, if you want to go for Initiative
because there is a reason in the English wording, then I'm fine with
it.
Regards

--
Robert Mayr