Re: Monkeying with words: "Objective Lead" to "Initiative Lead"

On Mon, Jun 12, 2017 at 08:44:07AM -0400, Josh Boyer wrote:
> > self-explanatory than I hoped it to be. I'd like to fix this. One quick
> > thing I'd like to do is change "Objective" to "Initiative", which seems
> > to be more intuitively understood. There's more, but does anyone object
> > to me doing this as a first easy thing?
>
> I don't object, but I don't understand the difference or why it matters.  To me:
>
> - objective: concrete thing you want to accomplish in a given timeframe
> - initiative: set of related work items spread across multiple areas,
> usually with a timeline much longer than an objective
>
> Which did you originally envision Fedora having?

I think a little more like the latter; I think people's understanding
of "objective" seems to be either an immediate task (maybe like "this
quarter") or else something really big (more like "vision" in a formal
model). I was aiming for what's possibly a _series_ of objectives over
a 12-18 month period. I also like "work items spread across multiple
areas" from your second point - that's one of the reasons we wanted
these at the Council level.

--
Matthew Miller
<mattdm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>