Re: propsal summaries, moving forward [was Re: [Request for Comments] Governance change for Fedora Project]

On Wed, Sep 03, 2014 at 02:19:21PM -0500, inode0 wrote:
> > are unclear where to go for what. If you've got some suggestions for making
> > the delineation sharp, I think that would really help.
> I would call what we have now and what I would like to retain a
> governance board and I would call the new body a leadership council.

Okay, but see below...

> > This comes back to sounding like "court" to me, although maybe there's
> > something loaded in that term that doesn't sit right.
> It bothers me because courts conjure up criminal behavior and
> punishments and such. We often don't even have strong advocacy
> involved. We are asked questions where sometimes the people asking

Okay, that's fair enough. I certainly didn't mean to imply that.

> might not have thought it through entirely themselves but just want
> something clarified before investing a lot of their energy going down
> an alley. In this role I see the board up to now as one giving
> guidance when asked (and anyone could ask including board members).
> Since the board has never had any ability to enforce its guidance it
> really is just guidance that hopefully more often than not folks pay
> attention to.

This last thing seems at odds with the concept of "governance", at least as
Greg defined it earlier in the thread (and which seems a reasonable enough
definition to work with; others might include an even stronger degree of
control). If the board just provides guidance, it doesn't really sound like
a _governing_ board -- more like an advisory board. (Hmmm; maybe I shouldn't
have renamed this mailing list....)

--
Matthew Miller
<mattdm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>