Re: propsal summaries, moving forward [was Re: [Request for Comments] Governance change for Fedora Project]

On Wed, Sep 3, 2014 at 3:11 PM, Matthew Miller <mattdm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 27, 2014 at 10:32:58AM -0400, Josh Boyer wrote:
>> I think that leads to a completely inactive and inattentive Board.  If
>> the Council never bothers to contact the Board, then big changes can
>> happen without the Board even being aware, or aware of the
>> implications down the road.  How would a Board know what the community
>> wants if they're only involved in the large changes infrequently and
>> on request only?
>
> I think the basic answer here is "trust in democracy" -- this board
> (the supervisory/"court" style one) might be hands-off but should be
> comprised of members who take the role of representing the community values
> seriously and actively. If they're not, they should be replaced at the next
> election.

Fedora isn't a democracy.  It's a weird mix of meritocracy and
democratic ideals.

> As John says, "The Board is part of the community. They aren't living under
> ground and only coming up when a ticket gets opened." I think the counter
> argument is that it kind of feels like we *are* only doing that, and for
> that matter, not really fully waking to deal with those tickets. Maybe
> that's not completely fair, but I can see some truth to it. The fact that
> board elections have so little interest, both in candidates and votes, seems
> to support that.
>
> It's possible that being more forward about this future boards' role as
> _primarily_ stewardship of Fedora values would help here, along with more
> emphasis on that at election time.

I think this is largely where we deviate here.  I don't view the
Board's role as ONLY stewardship of Fedora values.  I view it as that
plus facilitating and enabling the various groups across Fedora to
better communicate and accomplish what they're trying to achieve.  And
as I've said, I don't think a two body setup is going to help at all
with that.

josh