Re: propsal summaries, moving forward [was Re: [Request for Comments] Governance change for Fedora Project]

On Wed, Sep 3, 2014 at 2:21 PM, Josh Boyer <jwboyer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 3, 2014 at 3:11 PM, Matthew Miller <mattdm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> It's possible that being more forward about this future boards' role as
>> _primarily_ stewardship of Fedora values would help here, along with more
>> emphasis on that at election time.
>
> I think this is largely where we deviate here.  I don't view the
> Board's role as ONLY stewardship of Fedora values.  I view it as that
> plus facilitating and enabling the various groups across Fedora to
> better communicate and accomplish what they're trying to achieve.  And
> as I've said, I don't think a two body setup is going to help at all
> with that.

I don't view the Board's ONLY role as stewardship of Fedora's values
either. I do view that as the Board's most important role. It has
various other governance roles as I've described numerous times before
and it has at least on paper had a very high level leadership mandate
that I don't think it has ever been very effective trying to execute.

I do believe the leadership council envisioned at least abstractly
here will be able to do a far more effective job if it can focus on
that without burning out on the less stimulating stuff that comes
before the Board.

John