Re: anaconda design mockups

On Thu, 2016-02-25 at 12:22 -0500, David Lehman wrote:
> On Thu, 2016-02-25 at 18:14 +0100, Garrett LeSage wrote:
> >
> > On 25/02/16 16:06, David Lehman wrote:
> > >
> > > Right. Just about any time you make an assumption to
> > > significantly
> > > simplify storage you're going to be wrong. Sad but true.
> > Yeah, it's not possible to cover every case all the time and do so
> > in
> > an
> > easily understandable manner for most things... but especially
> > something
> > as complicated as storage.
> >

> > With regard to Workstation partitioning, however, I'm confident
> > that
> > we
> > can make life nicer for at least 80% - 90% of the people using
> > Anaconda.
> > That's one of the goals of this effort, at least.
> I can appreciate that, provided it retains some basic flexibility.
>

> > For the other 10 - 20% of people installing Workstation who really
> > do
> > want to specify everything, they will still have a
> > similar/familiar
> > advanced interface to do so. The difference is that we won't drive
> > everyone into the advanced partitioner (and force them to even
> > understand partitioning or complicate storage things they *could*
> > possibly do).
> People seem to resist this, but it would be really great IMO if we
> could stop calling it "partitioning" and start calling it "storage
> configuration" since partitioning is only a fraction of what goes on.
>

> > There are three main cases for Workstation installs:
> > 1. Empty disk(s). It's obvious what to do here... Have a
> > predefined
> > recommended partition layout and use that. Advanced partitioning
> > spoke
> > can, of course, still be selected from the Hub screen for fine-
> > tuning
> > or
> > completely different layouts.
> > 2. Disk(s) with data, with more than enough room for Fedora. Same
> > as
> > #1,
> > except existing data will not be wiped out.
> We did that in F18 or F19 and several users (including me) didn't
> like
> that you don't even have the option of making more space in this
> case.
Also I wonder how frequent this case would actually be - how would you
actually get a disk that is partially used, but has significant
unallocated space ?

Completely empty disk I can imagine (fresh from the factory) as well as
completely allocated one (pre-installed Windows, some Linux distro
install, etc.) but how would a normal user get a disk that is not
either empty or fully allocated to something ?

I can only think of people creating such a layout themselves to use/try
multiple Linux distros or other operating systems. I'm not sure if
there would be very many of those & if they would need a simplified
partitioning screen given their apparent ability to create custom
storage layouts.