Re: anaconda design mockups

On Thu, Feb 25, 2016 at 05:46:11PM +0100, Garrett LeSage wrote:
> [...]
> you'd like to see responses for or to the quick summary (at the very end).
> I've made the questions in Markdown-like / ATX-style headings (look for the
> two hash signs "##").
>

> ## Storage screen == linear? and Wizard vs. Hub-and-spokes
>
> Right now, Anaconda *already* is a hybrid between hub-and-spokes and a
> wizard. There's a welcome and language screen before you see the spoke
> settings, and there's an installation progress screen after. If it were
> purely hub-and-spokes, then you'd only have the hub screen and everything
> else would be a spoke.
>
> The idea in the design mockups pushes the critical question of "where should
> this go?" when it needs to be asked. Right now, we're hoping that someone
> knows that they need to go into the partitioner, then understand what
> they're doing, and finally jump back out to continue onward. I've found
> that's often not the case, in a little bit of semi-informal research I've
> conducted (in my free time) in the past year.
>
> One kind of funny example I encountered: A quite-technical co-worker who
> routinely installs Fedora for work told me that he originally thought his
> hard drive was "bad". He eventually even bought a new hard drive — and after
> thinking that one was marked as being bad too. Of course, after a little bit
> of questioning, it turned out that it's just how Anaconda flags a necessary
> step — even when it should not be necessary (as in the case of a blank
> drive). Consider that he's a technical person, who has been using Linux for
> well over a decade now and that other people with less knowledge and
> experience are running into the same thing.
>
> Anaconda currently forces everyone into the partitioner. It would be nice to
> make that an optional place to visit to ensure that people are much more
> likely to install and use Fedora under normal circumstances. (How many
> people tried to install Fedora and gave up when they saw that their "disk
> had an error" or when they were confused while trying to figure out even
> what partitions are?)
>
> Breaking out that mostly-mandatory (it should be skippable when there's a
> blank drive) partitioning step into a separate, simplified screen solves
> this — and a few other — problems. It formalizes this critical step instead
> of pretending that it's just-another spoke setting. In the designs I've
> linked, it's still there as a spoke (although not pictured yet; only
> mentioned). In the mockups, there's an attempt for partitioning to be
> pre-configured based on the system's state (if there's enough space). The
> super-simple partitioner in the mockups (note: advanced partitioner not yet
> displayed in the mockups) only appears when it's absolutely needed (which,
> of course, would be pretty common for Workstation installs).
>

> ## What happens with two drives?
>
> Good question. There's space in the super-simple paritioner mockup. I should
> mock up the case(s) where there are two drives.

What about even more drives? I know this is the Workstation variant, and
not everything will apply to Server -- so maybe I'm veering off topic
here -- but I feel I should mention that on s390x (IBM mainframe) for
example, it's the norm rather than the exception to install to tens of
disks.

Even on the Installation Summary screen at the top, in the "Install to"
it looks fine with one disk, and it'll look fine with two as well, but
it might not scale as neatly when the number of disks goes up by an
order of magnitude (or two).

Samantha