Re: Blocker status of RHBZ #1033778 (shrinking unknown volumes)

On Wed, 2016-02-24 at 09:40 -0500, David Lehman wrote:

> > "This means that if the installer offers mechanisms for resizing
> > storage volumes, then it must run the appropriate resizing tool with
> > the appropriate parameters for the resize the user chooses. The
> > reason

> What is the appropriate tool (and parameters) for resizing the
> formatting on a device with unrecognized/unknown formatting?

I don't believe we explicitly considered that question at the time of
writing the criterion. However, my interpretation as the person who
drafted it (IIRC) would be that the "appropriate tool" for any
partition with data on it is a tool which is at least *intended* to
preserve the data.

In an ideal world, with no specific technical concerns, it would be my
expectation that we would not offer an operation named "resize" in the
case where we have no idea how to preserve any contents of the volume.
We would only offer an operation named "resize" in cases where we do
actually have some idea how to perform a non-destructive resize. I'm
entirely open to there being technical reasons why this is not
possible, though.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey