Re: McIntosh D100 DAC

> > It's far from perfect, but better an a way.
> > I see in messages this message when I try to play the first time:
> > linux-htpc kernel: [ 7476.413271] ALSA sound/usb/clock.c:391 current
rate
> > 96000 is different from the runtime rate 44100
> >

> > You might want to look at the source above.  This rings a bell for me.
> You might see some code to do something like a stream close / open; maybe
> it's not happening with your device?
> >

> > When I stop the play:
> > linux-htpc kernel: [ 7576.789042] ALSA sound/core/pcm_native.c:1544
playback
> > drain error (DMA or IRQ trouble?)
> > Then when I play again, it works fine without further logs.
> > The guys at JRiver think it is a firmware error. I doubt that.
> >

> > Erm... well there are other things to try before blaming the firmware.
> >

> > So I have no more idea in mind to carry on my investigation.
> >

> > -- Chris Hermansen · clhermansen "at" gmail "dot" comC'est ma façon de
parler.

> Chris,
> That was a good idea. So I played 2 files with different sampling rate in
> one go with aplay and it worked no problem.
> The DAC displayed the correct sample rate and transitioned nicely. So my
> system can play 2 different files.
> For the error,
> I looked at the source and it seems like the driver is setting the new
rate
> to the DAC via a USB control message, then ask for the rate back as a
> confirmation, but does not get what it set just.
> But there is a comment that "some devices do not respond to sample rate
> change while active" and they do something like a reset of the device but
> am not sure.
> So IMO the problem lies in the player in my specific configuration.
> Seems a correct assumption?
>

> Time to try guayadeque
>
> What you are saying rings a bell... ie that the application may need to
close and re-open in the event of a format change.  But I also suggest
taking a look at the alsa source.  Could be that your device needs a bit of
a tweak there to make that happen automagically...I don't know much about
JRiver but given that their source code is not available one is not able to
see what's going on under the hood.

> -- Chris Hermansen · clhermansen "at" gmail "dot" comC'est ma façon de
parler.

Hi Guys,

Problem solved. I tried mpd following Chris's advices and it now works. I
can now play any sample rate with it.
So the kernel update does help.

Thank you all.

B.