Re: McIntosh D100 DAC

BHdeC, list;

On Fri, Apr 4, 2014 at 6:06 PM, BHdeC <normandviking@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Jonas Kvinge <linuxtv <at> closetothewind.net> writes:

> Hi
>
> I got a McIntosh D100 DAC, it works but sometimes the sounds stops and
> starts a few milliseconds (small pauses). I got the problem when playing
> music in Clementine (FLAC files) and youtube videos. I can play many
> songs fine without any problems so its very periodical. It might happen
> only 1-2 times in a day.
> I had a Electrocompaniet EC-2 DAC for a while and I think it had some of
> the same issues, but I think it used the same driver also.
>
> Kernel is 3.12.6 custom compiled
> Distribution is opensuse 13.1, pulseaudio is removed from the system.

Hi Jonas,

I have a very similar setup than you and I also have issue with my DAC.
I have a genuine OpenSuse 13.1 install, without pulseaudio, ALSA only setup.

I use JRiver MediaCenter19 and here is what I get. I can play 1 track no
problem. I can play any other track IF the sample rate is identical then the
first track.
If the sample rate is different, nothing is played. I have to kill JRiver
and restart.

I worked around for a test by resampling all to 192k and it worked. But I
don't want to do that.

I don't know about Jonas' problem, but B you might find that your software is set to mix the last few seconds of the song currently playing with the first few seconds of the following song.

When you think about it, this is only reasonable to do if the two songs have the same bit rate and bit depth.

I have seen this in Guayadeque, and to fix the problem I set the overlap parameters to zero.

Then I have no problem going from one song to the next (either with AudioQuest DragonFly or Schiit Bifrost).  This is all under late model Ubuntu (13.10 for instance).

As for pulseaudio, I don't need to remove it.  I just make sure my default pulse device is the built-in sound card and I use either the A-Q or a XONAR-DX with the Bifrost via optical for music, and I set Guayadeque or mpd to work with the appropriate device.

--
Chris Hermansen · clhermansen "at" gmail "dot" com

C'est ma façon de parler.