Re: McIntosh D100 DAC

B, list;

wrote:Jonas Kvinge <linuxtv <at> closetothewind.net> writes:

> > Hi
> >
> > I got a McIntosh D100 DAC, it works but sometimes the sounds stops and
> > starts a few milliseconds (small pauses). I got the problem when playing
> > music in Clementine (FLAC files) and youtube videos. I can play many
> > songs fine without any problems so its very periodical. It might happen
> > only 1-2 times in a day.
> > I had a Electrocompaniet EC-2 DAC for a while and I think it had some of
> > the same issues, but I think it used the same driver also.
> >
> > Kernel is 3.12.6 custom compiled
> > Distribution is opensuse 13.1, pulseaudio is removed from the system.
> >
> Hi Jonas,
> I have a very similar setup than you and I also have issue with my DAC.
> I have a genuine OpenSuse 13.1 install, without pulseaudio, ALSA only setup.
> I use JRiver MediaCenter19 and here is what I get. I can play 1 track no
> problem. I can play any other track IF the sample rate is identical then the
> first track.
> If the sample rate is different, nothing is played. I have to kill JRiver
> and restart.
> I worked around for a test by resampling all to 192k and it worked. But I
> don't want to do that.
>

> I don't know about Jonas' problem, but B you might find that your software
is set to mix the last few seconds of the song currently playing with the
first few seconds of the following song.

Yes I thought about that before and set a gap of 1 second between tracks:
same result.

So I upgraded my kernel to the latest 3.14 on OpenSuse 13.1 and the behavior
is different.

I still can not play tracks with different sample rate but if I stop the
play with mediacenter and start it again, it works.

What happens when you use aplay to play a (say) 44.1/16 and when it is done play a (say) 96/24?  Does that work?

Back when I was using the Schiit through USB I had problems getting that transition to work.

Also maybe try a different media player (I suggest Guayadeque because I know you can talk directly to Alsa and you can turn off the track "blending").

It's far from perfect, but better an a way.

I see in messages this message when I try to play the first time:
linux-htpc kernel: [ 7476.413271] ALSA sound/usb/clock.c:391 current rate
96000 is different from the runtime rate 44100

You might want to look at the source above.  This rings a bell for me.  You might see some code to do something like a stream close / open; maybe it's not happening with your device?

When I stop the play:
linux-htpc kernel: [ 7576.789042] ALSA sound/core/pcm_native.c:1544 playback
drain error (DMA or IRQ trouble?)

Then when I play again, it works fine without further logs.

The guys at JRiver think it is a firmware error. I doubt that.

Erm... well there are other things to try before blaming the firmware.

So I have no more idea in mind to carry on my investigation.

--
Chris Hermansen · clhermansen "at" gmail "dot" com

C'est ma façon de parler.