Re: Problems w/mia sound (again); after Debian Squeeze "upgrade"

OK, thanks much Giuliano & Sergei!  I got the alsa driver updated (it appears) by simply installing the Header files for Debian Squeeze, Linux 2.6.32-5-686 (this is my specific kernel), which I found & installed via Synaptic Package Manager... To be clear, the first time I tried, I forgot the './configure --with-cards=mia,virmidi --with-sequencer=yes' & just did  ./configure, make make install' After realizing my error, I then reinstalled using the commands you offered Giuliano.

Problem now is that I get the same result as before, regarding sound & various sound aps (dis)functioning.  I'm inclined to think that perhaps the Alsa driver may not have been (all?) of the problem here (unless doing the install before, somehow made a unrepaired error?). Now given that the header files seem to have disappeared before (don't know this for sure, but in any case, I had working sound until this mentioned Feb "update"), could there be some problem with the MiaMidi firmware too (or something like this)?

These below, are some of the options someone else has earlier suggested (Debian Multimedia forum, & they just gave up trying after a few tries, & I got left, hanging), that I tried, & now, retried, but look like same results as before (including no sound):

aplay -vv /home/henry/Music/LouisArmstrong.wav
Playing WAVE '/home/henry/Music/LouisArmstrong.wav' : Signed 16 bit Little Endian, Rate 44100 Hz, Stereo
aplay: set_params:1116: Unable to install hw params:
ACCESS:  RW_INTERLEAVED
FORMAT:  S16_LE
SUBFORMAT:  STD
SAMPLE_BITS: 16
FRAME_BITS: 32
CHANNELS: 2
RATE: 44100
PERIOD_TIME: (124807 124808)
PERIOD_SIZE: 5504
PERIOD_BYTES: 22016
PERIODS: 4
BUFFER_TIME: (499229 499230)
BUFFER_SIZE: 22016
BUFFER_BYTES: 88064
TICK_TIME: 0

<snip>

~$ lsmod | grep snd
snd_mia                17885  1
snd_seq_midi            3562  0
snd_seq_midi_event      3750  1 snd_seq_midi
snd_rawmidi            12578  2 snd_mia,snd_seq_midi
snd_pcm                47087  2 snd_mia
snd_seq                35078  2 snd_seq_midi,snd_seq_midi_event
snd_timer              12546  2 snd_pcm,snd_seq
snd_seq_device          3855  3 snd_seq_midi,snd_rawmidi,snd_seq
snd                    31745  8 snd_mia,snd_seq_midi,snd_rawmidi,snd_pcm,snd_seq,snd_timer,snd_seq_device
soundcore               3450  1 snd
snd_page_alloc          4881  2 snd_mia,snd_pcm

<snip>

~$ cat /proc/asound/cards
 0 [Mia            ]: Echo_Mia - Mia
                      Mia rev.1 (DSP56361) at 0xfe900000 irq 17

Thanks for your helps here, I am not looking forward to doing an(other) clean install! Perhaps there is another suitable kernel available by now, like maybe an 'rt' kernel? & then, would I have to do a more or less complicated, risky compilation?)!

Regards,
Henry

P.s., Giuliano, do my PM emails come through to you now?
On Wed, 9 Mar 2011 03:36:15 +0200

Sergei Steshenko <steshenko_sergei@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Tue, 08 Mar 2011 20:28:15 -0500
> "Henry W. Peters" <hwpeters@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> [snip]

> > Anyway, I installed (via my package manager) in
> > '/usr/src/linux-source-2.6.32.tar.bz2'

> [snip]
>
> You need to unpack the tarball:
>
> cd /usr/src/; tar jxvf linux-source-2.6.32.tar.bz2
> .
>
> Compilation process need kernel headr _files_, not the archive.

Yes, but it also has to be configured. Hopefully he can get the config
from /proc/config.gz .

-- Giuliano.