Need help to unmute microphone in Intel Corporation 82801JI (ICH10 Family) HD Audio Controller

Hello there, that's me again. As previously stated, the debug info for my sound card can be found in the URL below, but I can attach it to the next message or paste it inline if it's more convenient for anyone:

http://www.alsa-project.org/db/?f=ba1697e8ed5cea125a877f33c7b766214450e0ff

I was never to use the microphone with this sound card. It's hard for me to know if this is a hardware issue, because I never used any other OS in this computer.

The weirdest part is that, when I unmute the microphone on gnome's volume control, it doesn't make any difference, and when I open the volume control again the microphone is muted again.

I tried following the advice to turn everything on, both with gnome's volume control and with alsamixer, but I still can't record anything. As it should be apparent from the debug info, the available input and output settings are considerably complex, with no single "capture" setting. By the way, the issue doesn't seem to be gnome-specific, as I can't record anything with arecord.

I really don't need the fancy stuff, I just use a headset. I hope it doesn't matter, but I connect my (speakerless) video monitor's DVI input to the computer's HDMI output through an adapter cable — the regular DVI-DVI cable on the local store didn't have a proper length.

Does anyone knows what I can do to enable my microphone?

Thanks in advance!
--
Leonardo Ferreira Fontenelle <leonardof@xxxxxxxxx>

Blog on free software translation: http://leonardof.org