Click with power saving on Intel Corporation 82801JI (ICH10 Family) HD Audio Controller

My sound card clicks when it starts and then it stops playing sounds. Debug information is available on:

http://www.alsa-project.org/db/?f=ba1697e8ed5cea125a877f33c7b766214450e0ff

I can attach it or past inline if you want to. As far as I know, the relevant part is:

!!Loaded sound module options
!!--------------------------

!!Module: snd_hda_intel
	[...]
	power_save : 1
	power_save_controller : Y
	[...]

By default power_save is set to 1, which means the card will start saving power after 1 second of silence. I'm not sure what the second option really means; this is the documentation:

power_save_controller - Reset HD-audio controller in power-saving mode

I was able to prevent the clicks by messing with modprobe configuration, but from the end-user perspective this is far from ideal.

What can I do to help ALSA prevent the clicks by default, preferably keeping the power saving features?

Thanks in advance,
--
Leonardo Ferreira Fontenelle <leonardof@xxxxxxxxx>

Blog on free software translation: http://leonardof.org