Re: Problems w/mia sound (again); after Debian Squeeze "upgrade"

On Thu, 10 Mar 2011 11:50:28 -0500
"Henry W. Peters" <hwpeters@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> OK, thanks much Giuliano&  Sergei!  I got the alsa driver updated (it appears) by simply installing the Header files for Debian Squeeze, Linux 2.6.32-5-686 (this is my specific kernel), which I found&  installed via Synaptic Package Manager... To be clear, the first time I tried, I forgot the  './configure --with-cards=mia,virmidi --with-sequencer=yes'  &  just did  ./configure, make make install' After realizing my error, I then reinstalled using the commands you offered Giuliano.
>
> Problem now is that I get the same result as before, regarding sound&  various sound aps (dis)functioning.  I'm inclined to think that perhaps the Alsa driver may not have been (all?) of the problem here (unless doing the install before, somehow made a unrepaired error?). Now given that the header files seem to have disappeared before (don't know this for sure, but in any case, I had working sound until this mentioned Feb "update"), could there be some problem with the MiaMidi firmware too (or something like this)?

No, I don't think so, if you reinstall alsa-firmware it won't do any harm.

> These below, are some of the options someone else has earlier suggested (Debian Multimedia forum,&  they just gave up trying after a few tries,&  I got left, hanging), that I tried,&  now, retried, but look like same results as before (including no sound):
>
> aplay -vv /home/henry/Music/LouisArmstrong.wav
> Playing WAVE '/home/henry/Music/LouisArmstrong.wav' : Signed 16 bit Little Endian, Rate 44100 Hz, Stereo
> aplay: set_params:1116: Unable to install hw params:
> ACCESS:  RW_INTERLEAVED
> FORMAT:  S16_LE
> SUBFORMAT:  STD
> SAMPLE_BITS: 16
> FRAME_BITS: 32
> CHANNELS: 2
> RATE: 44100
> PERIOD_TIME: (124807 124808)
> PERIOD_SIZE: 5504
> PERIOD_BYTES: 22016
> PERIODS: 4
> BUFFER_TIME: (499229 499230)
> BUFFER_SIZE: 22016
> BUFFER_BYTES: 88064
> TICK_TIME: 0

The bug I told you was about volume control. This is a completely different
thing. And this is strange because the listed hw params are fine. Did the
kernel write anything interesting in the logs ?  Try "dmesg" right after
the failed aplay.

--
Giuliano.