Re: Problems w/mia sound (again); after Debian Squeeze "upgrade"

On Tue, 08 Mar 2011 11:31:59 -0500
"Henry W. Peters" <hwpeters@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I have had no sound in my Debian Squeeze, since a Feb.,2011 "update." My
> sound card is a Echo MiaMidi... I have been corresponding with the
> author of the driver...  I have not heard back from him (for some
> reason; & I'm suspecting his email filter may be preempting my emails...
> ???). In any case, I have tried to update my alsa driver (as Giuliano
> suggested), & get the following result... which looks to me like some
> kind of kernel problem (as evidenced from the last few lines in the
> terminal output, pasted below), which I don't know how to resolve (my
> sound worked more or less fine, for several years, until this mentioned
> "update."). Perhaps Giuliano will (still) be monitoring this list, &
> know that I was trying, via PM to reply to him (perhaps he is just busy,
> or some other thing?), & someone here on the alsa list might have some
> ideas as to what is going on here, what I might do, or try to get my
> sound back again?

You can't compile ther driver because the sources of the kernel are not
installed. You have to install the same sources and with the same
configuration that were used to compile the kernel you are running.
Probably there is a kernel-x.y.x-sources package of you distro that you
just have to install. If the sources are already somewhere on you disk, the
you have to specify the --with-kernel= option as suggested by the configure
script.

--
Giuliano.