Re: No sound, no /proc/asound/

In article
<AANLkTikpOLrUgQHvU0Y-p5XzpyrA8-m8Enokds3XdDQg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
   James Shatto <wwwshadow7@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Basically the same way.  To redo your kernel.  dpkg --purge --force-all
> && apt-get install.  Just make sure that you DO NOT do it to the kernel
> that you are currently running.  Which might mean installing an older
> kernel as a safe recovery and boot to that before recovering the kernel
> you "want" to run.  This week anyway.

Beyond realising this was probably due to something like the correct
modules, etc, not being in place, the details have gone above my own
(current) level. However there is one other (non-ALSA) point I think it may
be useful to add.

My impression that that at some earlier stage audio *was* working, so the
current lack of working is due to something like an attempt to do something
like 'upgrade' the kernel. If so, my recommendation is to *always* do a
backup of your system before doing anything that might furtle things up.

I use 'clonezilla' for this every now and then to try to protect myself
from my own idiocy. Put the backup on a removable USB HD. But there are
various other ways you may prefer.

Slainte,

Jim