Re: No sound, no /proc/asound/

Basically the same way.  To redo your kernel.  dpkg --purge
--force-all && apt-get install.  Just make sure that you DO NOT do it
to the kernel that you are currently running.  Which might mean
installing an older kernel as a safe recovery and boot to that before
recovering the kernel you "want" to run.  This week anyway.

Definitely a module mismatch.  But is it because the kernel you are
running is mangled with old modules, old initrd images, old ???
Because the boot loader isn't using the NEW kernel version?  Depmod
and any number of things depending on how you came about your current
config.  Assuming the old school insmod route can't be made to work at
all.  Which requires some functional knowledge of your system.  i.e.
lsmod (from a working version / live CD).  But requires no
configuration to load the modules, outside of the right sequence.  And
full paths if you use insmod, and not modprobe.

$ sudio find /lib/modules/`uname -r`/ -iname '*snd*.*o'

I've been assuming that you've been running a distro supplied kernel.
I guess the question should be asked, how did you come by your current
kernel?  Supplied by the distro or did you do something different?  In
either case you might want to try a distro supplied kernel.
Preferably one that differs from the version (name) that you are
currently using.  At least in terms of simple fixes.

Beyond that you might rm ~/.asoundrc and the
/etc/modprobe.d/alsa_custom.conf when you reinstall alsa.  Or at least
mv to ~/ with different names so you can easily recover them.
Otherwise it appears that you might have installed alsa from source,
and an update to the same kernel version might have overwritten in
part your changes.  The rm step to happen between dpkg --purge and
apt-get install.  For the kernel you might want to rm the
/lib/modules/2.6.35.???/ for the kernel in question, just in case
something lingered.  Between purge and install of course.  While
running a differently named kernel.

Otherwise a fresh FULL reinstall should fix your issue.  Assuming that
your card is supported in the first place, which it appears to be or
it would have never worked.  Otherwise we could troubleshoot for days
without more information about how you got to your current state of
affairs.  Not that you'd have that standard M$ answer.  I installed
AOL and now XXX doesn't work anymore...

- James