Re: No sound, no /proc/asound/

In article
<AANLkTikA=hHDEy3pCsamVvgye7u9=_4PQqw_PScjbSKV@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
   Marcin Szyniszewski <mszynisz@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Is the file /usr/bin/alsamixer present, or /sbin/alsa ?
> >
> > Or the /usr/share/alsa directory?
> >
> > You should have these or equivalents IIUC.

> /usr/bin/alsamixer is present and gives: cannot open mixer: No such file
> or directory

Did you issue alsamixer as the command or the full pathname? If the former,
maybe something is wrong with your path/environment setup.

Afraid I don't know what the problem is, so I can only suggest some ideas
and diagnostics to check.

I am wondering if your OS install hasn't actually loaded the modules
correctly for your hardware.

Try the command 'lsmod' to list the modules that are loaded. If the list is
too long use 'lsmod | grep snd' to just list the ones that have 'snd' in
their names.

You can then use modinfo <module name> to check details of each module.

Or modprobe (with care!) to alter what is loaded.

Do you have another sound system like Pulse active? if so, that may be
interfering with the direct use of ALSA.

You could also put a simple redefinition of the ALSA default into an
.asoundrc file and see if that can be made to work with aplay. But from
what you have said I have doubts about that.

You might also consider trying to install the latest version of ALSA in
case what you have isn't suitable for your hardware or is furtled in some
way.

Sorry I can't be more help. But I hope the above may be useful.

Slainte,

Jim