Re: No sound in Debian Lenny

In article <1296568595.10898.9.camel@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, Bruno
<bbbmes@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> (...)

> > > *aplay -D hw:1,0 /path/wav/file* -> Run and I can ear it. (ANALOG)
> >
> > OK. Do you mean you can hear it from speakers inside the computer, or
> > using headphones or an audio system connected to an analogue output
> > socket, or both?

> I can hear it from speakers but not from headphones. My computer has a
> rear panel with 6 jacks and front panel with 2 jacks (mic and
> headphones). Front panel is connected to audio port on motherboard. Is
> that a subdevice?

I can't tell from the above.

'HDMI' is a digital connections with its own type of plugs and sockets.
Provides both video and audio. Maybe your display is using that? If so,
hw:0,0 might be sent to your display!  :-)

So far as I can tell from the 'aplay -l' results you listed, you only have
three devices active. Having many analog sockets on the back may be because
some provide 5.1 - i.e. more than two channels from one 'device'.

Note also that in some cases the 'headphone' or 'line out' socket is *also*
an optical spdif output. This is the case for my own laptop. You can get a
specific adaptor to plug in to use this. Maybe your own hw:1,1 'digital'
output is there?

> > > See below to identifify devices type.

> Sorry. I thought that digital out work with common jack.

The snag is that 'device' in ALSA terms really is a 'logical' description
not a 'physical' one. So the actual connector or physical socket may not
always be of the same type. e.g. 'digital' might in some cases be an old
fashiond RCA/Phono coax, or be a TOSlink optical output, but more likely to
look like a 'headphone socket'.

So again, in the case of my laptop a casual examination would not show any
'digital' output for spdif. But the output is 'disguised' and hidden in the
headphone socket - which can also be used to play headphones via the
relevant ALSA 'device'.

> > Afraid I avoid alsamixer as to me it seems like an added stage that
> > can fiddle with the data. So I can't say if it is the problem. However
> > you could experiment with putting something like
> >
> > pcm.Idefault { type plug slave { pcm "hw:1,0" channels 2
> > }
> > }
> >
> > into your .asoundrc file and see if Rhythmbox then can be heard via
> > your analogue output. By default it may be being send out via a device
> > you aren't connected to hear.

> I can hear audio file in Rhythmbox now but I can't allow this
> configuration file, *.asoundrc*, stay here. I move this file at
> /etc/asound.conf.

> It works.

OK. :-)  Did you mean that the above script added to .asoundrc or
/asound.conf got it working? If something else, what did you do?

> Sorry about my written English. I need practice it. xD

I feel the same about my own written English.  I keep thinking English
isn't my native first language. Alas, I've never found out what is...  :-)

Cheers,

Jim