Re: No sound in Debian Lenny

(...)

> > *aplay -D hw:1,0 /path/wav/file* -> Run and I can ear it. (ANALOG)
>
> OK. Do you mean you can hear it from speakers inside the computer, or using
> headphones or an audio system connected to an analogue output socket, or
> both?

I can hear it from speakers but not from headphones. My computer has a
rear panel with 6 jacks and front panel with 2 jacks (mic and
headphones). Front panel is connected to audio port on motherboard. Is
that a subdevice?

> > -> Run but I can't ear it. (DIGITAL)
>
> What do you have connected to the 'digital' output to collect what it may
> be supplying? Is this via the HDMI, or spdif (coax or optical)?
>
> One particular problem with some new devices and interfaces like HDMI is
> that the digital output may not be the format which suits what you send the
> data to. e.g. it could be multichannel bitstream but the 'receiver' you
> send it to is expecting stereo. However I don't know if that *is* the
> problem in your case.
>
> > See below to identifify devices type.

Sorry. I thought that digital out work with common jack.

(...)

> Sorry if I misunderstood your question. As I think you now realise from
> what you wrote below, the 'N' and 'M' I used mean your choice of the card
> and device number. see below.

Don't worry. Thanks for reply.

> > I installed vorbis-tools and now I can run sastisfactory ogg files using
> > *ogg123* command but I can't do it using Rhythmbox. Alsamixer doesn't
> > work correctly I think.
>
> > What can I do it?
>
> Afraid I avoid alsamixer as to me it seems like an added stage that can
> fiddle with the data. So I can't say if it is the problem. However you
> could experiment with putting something like
>
> pcm.Idefault {
> type plug
> slave {
> pcm "hw:1,0"
> channels 2
> }
> }
>
> into your .asoundrc file and see if Rhythmbox then can be heard via your
> analogue output. By default it may be being send out via a device you
> aren't connected to hear.

I can hear audio file in Rhythmbox now but I can't allow this
configuration file, *.asoundrc*, stay here. I move this file
at /etc/asound.conf.

It works.

> Slainte,
>
> Jim

Thanks for your help.

Sorry about my written English. I need practice it. xD