Re: No sound in Debian Lenny

> (...)

> > bruno@CRONO:~$ aplay -D hw:1,1 sound.wav
> > Playing WAVE 'sound.wav' : Unsigned 8 bit, Rate 11025 Hz, Mono
> > aplay: set_params:918: Sample format non available
>
> That looks to me like either the 'sound.wav' file was 8bit mono, etc, or
> that sound.wav wasn't actually present in the current directory!
>
>  Do you get the same kind of problem when you try a 44.1k or 48k  stereo
> 16bit LPCM wave file?

The file exists. :-)

I compiled and install ALSA 1.0.24 driver and libs. Now the system
recognize soundcard devices as ALC888 and not as ALC883.

I test it again with

*aplay -D hw:1,0 /path/wav/file* -> Run and I can ear it. (ANALOG)

*aplay -D hw:1,1 /path/wav/file* -> Run but I can't ear it. (DIGITAL)

See below to identifify devices type.

> > > Secondly, did you obtain the above results from a specific command or prog?
> > > if so, what?
>
> > I got these ouput with a ALSA team script
>
> > http://www.alsa-project.org/alsa-info.sh
>
> OK. Thanks.

You're welcome.

> > > Thirdly, have you tried adding a simple section to your .asoundrc file
> > > to explicitly define which card and device and the 'default' along
> > > with some basic settings? e.g. I use
>

> > > pcm.!default {
> > > type plug
> > > slave {
> > > pcm "hw:1"
> > > channels 2
> > > format S24_3LE
> > > }
> > > }
> > >
> > > in my .asoundrc to specify that a specific device the system
> > > identifies as hw:1 (and which expects the S24_3LE format) is to be
> > > used as default. Have you tried that with various values for the
> > > "hw:", starting either with no other entries for things like 'format'
> > > and then experimented on the basis of the info you have?
>
> > What is the command that said you what is *hw* number?
>
> I was referring to the line
>
> pcm "hw:1"

I asked you about N,M at *hw:N,M*

I got this numbers watching *aplay -l* output

card 0: HDMI [HDA ATI HDMI], device 3: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 1: VT82xx [HDA VIA VT82xx], device 0: ALC888 Analog [ALC888 Analog]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 1: VT82xx [HDA VIA VT82xx], device 1: ALC888 Digital [ALC888
Digital]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

We noted that *N* is the number that follows *card* string and *M* is
the number that follows *device* string in either soundcard description
line.

> in the above pcm.!default. I used "hw:1" there as I am using the card with
> that number. But you might try something else like "hw:1,0" as your card
> "1" has more than one device. The idea is that if you had something like
>
> pcm.!default {
> type plug
> slave {
> pcm "hw:1,0"
> channels 2
> }
> }

I installed vorbis-tools and now I can run sastisfactory ogg files using
*ogg123* command but I can't do it using Rhythmbox. Alsamixer doesn't
work correctly I think.

What can I do it?

(...)

> Slainte,