Re: Playing 96k/24bit wave files

Le Sun, 30 Jan 2011 20:07:28 -0600,
James Shatto <wwwshadow7@xxxxxxxxx> a Ãcrit :

> If you have a sufficiently fast computer, you MIGHT get by without it.
>  But if you record/use audio and use the network at the same time
> (SKYPE?), without it you can have pops an clicks and other annoyances
> in the outgoing / recorded audio track.

I agree that with a rt kernel, you can setup the hardware priority of
the different pieces of hardware in the box. But the result will depend
of what you do with your network. Server like applications (as example
p2p) need throughput, and with a rt kernel, the price to pay to get
low latency is the throughput.

> If all your machine does is
> play youtube vids, then perhaps you don't need it.  But you probably
> wont know until you DO need it.  And you'll only know that if you went
> without it.  There are benefits beyond just audio with a low latency
> kernel.  If your network is slow, and other annoyances that could give
> you windows like responsiveness (not a compliment) if you don't have a
> low latency kernel.

Again, network operation need throughput, audio pro need low latency,
and you cannot have both. Well, almost. By setting the hardware
priorities with a rt kernel, the rt kernel will give you low latency,
and the setting of the hardware priorities will give you a high
throughput on the piece of hardware that have the highest priority.
Associated with the setting of the software priorities, you can get
the lowest latency with the sound card. But the other pieces of
hardware will get higher latency and lower throughput when the
system will be under heavy audio processing load.

With an uniprocessor machine, if the audio card have the highest
hardware priority, your system is under heavy audio load, and you are
into the audio group, this can freeze your desktop a few seconds, but
the audio processing will be OK. That is realtime kernel :)
With such a machine, you can even freeze the whole system, and a reboot
will be necessary.

Hopefully, with the cgroups in the kernel and in JACK, all this will be
soon an old story. But even with cgroups, the price to pay to get low
latency will be the throughput. cgroups is only a better way to
manage the priorities, it will insure the integrity of the system
even under very heavy load on a low end machine.

Dominique