Re: No sound in Debian Lenny

In article <1296498018.3377.21.camel@xxxxxxxxxxxx>,
   Bruno <bbbmes@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > (...)

> >  Do you get the same kind of problem when you try a 44.1k or 48k
> > stereo 16bit LPCM wave file?

> The file exists. :-)

> I compiled and install ALSA 1.0.24 driver and libs. Now the system
> recognize soundcard devices as ALC888 and not as ALC883.

> I test it again with

> *aplay -D hw:1,0 /path/wav/file* -> Run and I can ear it. (ANALOG)

OK. Do you mean you can hear it from speakers inside the computer, or using
headphones or an audio system connected to an analogue output socket, or
both?

> -> Run but I can't ear it. (DIGITAL)

What do you have connected to the 'digital' output to collect what it may
be supplying? Is this via the HDMI, or spdif (coax or optical)?

One particular problem with some new devices and interfaces like HDMI is
that the digital output may not be the format which suits what you send the
data to. e.g. it could be multichannel bitstream but the 'receiver' you
send it to is expecting stereo. However I don't know if that *is* the
problem in your case.

> See below to identifify devices type.

> > I was referring to the line
> >
> > pcm "hw:1"

> I asked you about N,M at *hw:N,M*

Sorry if I misunderstood your question. As I think you now realise from
what you wrote below, the 'N' and 'M' I used mean your choice of the card
and device number. see below.

> I got this numbers watching *aplay -l* output

> card 0: HDMI [HDA ATI HDMI], device 3: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
>   Subdevices: 1/1
>   Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

That looks like hw:0,0 is your HDMI output.

> card 1: VT82xx [HDA VIA VT82xx], device 0: ALC888 Analog [ALC888 Analog]
>   Subdevices: 1/1
>   Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

That looks like hw:1,0 is the analog output you hear OK

> card 1: VT82xx [HDA VIA VT82xx], device 1: ALC888 Digital [ALC888
> Digital]
>   Subdevices: 1/1
>   Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

That looks like hw:1,1 which you can't hear. Note that this isn't 'HDMI' so
if you are trying to hear hw:1,1 via HDMI you may be connecting to the
wrong socket. Does your computer have an spdif output as well as HDMI? If
so, maybe that is hw:1.1

Also, if you are connecting to the HDMI output, do you hear anything when
you try

 *aplay -D hw:0,0 /path/wav/file*

>From the above I'd expect that to send output to the HDMI.

> We noted that *N* is the number that follows *card* string and *M* is
> the number that follows *device* string in either soundcard description
> line.

Yes. That is my understanding.

> I installed vorbis-tools and now I can run sastisfactory ogg files using
> *ogg123* command but I can't do it using Rhythmbox. Alsamixer doesn't
> work correctly I think.

> What can I do it?

Afraid I avoid alsamixer as to me it seems like an added stage that can
fiddle with the data. So I can't say if it is the problem. However you
could experiment with putting something like

pcm.Idefault {
type plug
slave {
pcm "hw:1,0"
channels 2
}
}

into your .asoundrc file and see if Rhythmbox then can be heard via your
analogue output. By default it may be being send out via a device you
aren't connected to hear.

For my own use I primarily want to play LPCM with *no* alterations by the
computer system. I'm not sure it is the reason Rhythmbox doesn't work,
though. I also gave up trying to use Rhythmbox as it seemed to need me to
use something like Pulse.

Instead I now use AlsaPlayer or Audacious. They both play to the ALSA
default, and AlsaPlayer is like 'aplay'. It lets you specify which alsa
'device' to use when you run it. So is convenient for me when I want to use
various 'cards' and 'devices' to compare them.

Slainte,

Jim