Re: No sound in Debian Lenny

Hi Bruno.

You are running alsa 1.0,16. The actual stable version is 1.0.23.

Debian is a great distribution. You are using the stable version. This
"stable" version is a set of very well tested applications (believe me
they are stable as a rock). This is why you find older versions in
debian "stable". Stable version is intended to be used in servers (where
nothing must fail), but you can use it as a desktop. Look, you are using
alsa 1.0.16, this is a very old version.

For a better desktop experience, i recommend you an actualization to
debian "testing", its very simple. Debian "testing" uses the stable
versions (provided by packagers), but the whole system is named
"testing" just because sometimes appears incompatibilities between this
stable packages. This is why debian "stable" is stable: everything is
well proved.

Its easy to upgrade your system (ask me if you have doubts).
Im running debian testing that includes alsa version 1.0.23, and i have
similiar hardware running very well.

Best regards, Jose.