Re: Help with .asoundrc needed

Hi Mark,

I'll answer you in you manner(mode?).

On 10-01-2011 12:23, Mark Goldstein wrote:
> Hi Leonardo,
>
> On Mon, Jan 10, 2011 at 3:37 PM, Leonardo Gomes<leogolima@xxxxxxxxxxxx>  wrote:
>> Mark,
>>
>> I don't know if i understand, but i'll try.
>>
>> I think you want to output TV Tunner plugged into Line In to both sound
>> cards.
>>
>> You using some program to capture the sound of Line In(TV Tunner) and
>> reproduze that(output) ?
> There are different TV viewers, I'm currently using tvtime, but it
> does not matter. The audio output connector of TV card is physically
> connected to Line In connector of HDA (and actually from time to time
> I remove it and use another source on LineIn).
> So I just run tvtime and I can hear the audio on speakers or
> headphones connected to HDA card (Speakers are connected to rear
> connector and headphones and MIC to the front connector).
>
> Now I have this additional USB headset. I want to get rid of old
> headphones plugged into front panel. I'd like to have audio from Line
> In to be heard on speakers from HDA card and USB headset at the same
> time.
> (It should better be application independent).
In ALSA terms(in my knowledge), the headphones is in Stereo channels and
he numbers is 0(front left) and 1(front right). Channels count is 2.

The speakers(Rear plug) is in 4.0 speakers, is continuation of Stereo
channels and he numbers is 2(rear left) and 3(rear right). Channels
count is 4.

I think the multi pcm have a requirement the same count of channels used
in both sound cards(pcm in this case).

To output the sound at same time to USB and HDA Card at Rear plug, the
multi pcm must change to this

# 4.0 Speaker set up HDA
pcm.both {
      type multi
      slaves.a.pcm "2asone_HDAIntel_dmix"
      slaves.a.channels 4
      slaves.b.pcm "2asone_LifeChat_dmix"
      slaves.b.channels 2

      bindings.0.slave a
      bindings.0.channel 0
      bindings.1.slave a
      bindings.1.channel 1
      bindings.2.slave a
      bindings.2.channel 2
      bindings.3.slave a
      bindings.3.channel 3

      bindings.4.slave b
      bindings.4.channel 0
      bindings.5.slave b
      bindings.5.channel 1
}

pcm.2asone {
      type route
      slave.pcm "both"
      ttable.0.0 1
      ttable.1.1 1
      ttable.0.2 1
      ttable.1.3 1
      ttable.0.4 1
      ttable.1.5 1
}

But for me this change in multi pcm don't work. My Another Sound Card is
only a Stereo Card.

I don't know to make application independent how you like.

The Speaker plug at back panel is used ??? The sound output in the
previous asoundrc configuration happen in Speaker plug at back panel.

For ALSA Developers:

Some ALSA Developer is reading this mailing list ???

If yes, you can explain the multi pcm work. He is a limit of a balanced
channels count or error of asoundrc scripting ???

If multi plugin pcm have this limit, maybe you try to make he more
flexible ???

>> You can output the sound of Line In using the previous PCM created ?
> Currently I only have these multi/route/plug pcms you helped me with.
> They allow me to play wave file (using aplay) on both cards. But Line
> In audio is still heard on speakers of HDA only (BTW when I tried VLC
> or Amarok to play on 2as1plugin the sound was terribly distorted).

My mistake(I think that VLC and Amarok is using default pcm) VLC and
Amarok sound terribly distorted. Change to this:

pcm.!default {
      type plug
      # don't need slave another plug pcm
      slave.pcm "2asone"
}

>> You have an set up of 4.1, 5.1, 7.1 speakers in your HDA or USB Sound Card ?
>>
>> The previous PCM created is for Stereo Speakers. 4.1, 5.1, 7.1 Speakers
>> don't work.
>>
>> For 4.1 and so on, must be created another PCM to work.
>>
>> I don't a expert, but i think the Line In is Stereo capturing. If i'm
>> right, you will copy Stereo channel(upmix) to 4.1, 5.1, 7.1 set up.
>>
>> That's all.
> Do you mean"copy" pcm? I think I'll need to read a bit more about this stuff.
>
> Thanks again&  regards,
I don't talk about copy pcm, i don't know how he work yet.

You reply this above, when you explain the speakers is in rear plug.
This make a 4.0 speakers set up.