Re: is this card supported by ALSA?

Rene Herman wrote:

-snip-
> At that point, you are running "real" OSS, not the ALSA OSS emulation,
> and the "mplayer -ao oss foo.wav" should work again (aplay nor alsamixer
> would anymore). This stands a fair chance of getting you sound at that
> point. If it does not, please find an OSS mixer (aumix, rexima, or
> anything you already have installed that can be switched into OSS mode)
> to make really, really sure it still doesn't work...
>
> Rene
I have a question about this.  When I look in the alsa driver sources, I
see that the modules snd-pcm-oss, snd-seq-oss, soundcore, snd, etc. are
all within this ALSA code.  Does your statement above about "real" OSS
imply that this code is actually legacy OSS incorporated within the ALSA
driver tree?  All the documentation seems to imply that this is
emulation code.  When I look in the OSS item in make menuconfig for the
kernel, it is just legacy drivers.  So I wanted to get clarification of
my understanding from someone who knows.  Just had a thought;  is the
OSS driver self contained, meaning that it contains the functionality
now in alsa-lib as well as the driver?  That would explain everything.

Thanks.