Re: is this card supported by ALSA?

On 08-07-08 16:22, Landis McGauhey wrote:

> Yes, ran alsamixer and thoroughly checked the settings-- levels all
> raised, no muting, made sure the correct parameter for the right card
> was used according to cat /proc/asound/cards.  No sound.
>
> Played a file with aplay.  No sound.

Unfortunately not quite that simple then. Your speakers/headphones are
in the green jack I suppose... and probably no progress with "aplay -D
front foo.wav" (-D front:<n> for card number <n>).

Most useful thing at this point is probably trying to play through the
OSS interface. If you have the "sox" package installed:

$ sox foo.wav -t ossdsp /dev/dsp

If this complains about "No such device" (or /dev/dsp doesn't exist at
all) then, as root, "modprobe snd-pcm-oss snd-mixer-oss" and try again.

(to have sox play using alsa: "sox foo.wav -t alsa default).

> Didn't see anything funny in dmesg but maybe you will.  Here it is:

Nothing ALSA related it seems. When there's nothing bad to report,

If the above also doesn't help it is going to depend on your
determination to get this thing going; googling around, I saw one report
that stated that the old OSS driver did work but that one has been
removed in the meantime. I could probably resurrect that against a
current kernel just to try and, if it works, perhaps figure out what
ALSA needs. That very much depends on your willingness to recompile
kernels and test though. If you do want to go that far, what kernel are
you running?

Rene.