Re: is this card supported by ALSA?

On 12-07-08 20:19, stan wrote:

> Rene Herman wrote:
>
> -snip-
>> At that point, you are running "real" OSS, not the ALSA OSS
>> emulation, and the "mplayer -ao oss foo.wav" should work again
>> (aplay nor alsamixer would anymore). This stands a fair chance of
>> getting you sound at that point. If it does not, please find an OSS
>> mixer (aumix, rexima, or anything you already have installed that
>> can be switched into OSS mode) to make really, really sure it still
>> doesn't work...
>
> I have a question about this.  When I look in the alsa driver
> sources, I see that the modules snd-pcm-oss, snd-seq-oss, soundcore,
> snd, etc. are all within this ALSA code.  Does your statement above
> about "real" OSS imply that this code is actually legacy OSS
> incorporated within the ALSA driver tree?  All the documentation
> seems to imply that this is emulation code.

soundcore is the kernel module that sits just above either ALSA or OSS,
snd is the main ALSA module and yes, snd-{pcm,mixer,seq}-oss are the
ALSA OSS emulation modules.

The "at this point" above though was after him loading the OSS "es1371"
driver that I posted as a patch in that thread so that Landis could try
if that one worked -- the ALSA driver for the same card, snd-ens1371,
did not produce sound.

If the quotes around "real" in my statement confused things: they were
only there to signifiy that the commercial product OSS might be what
you'd properly call "real OSS" while the OSS drivers that were (and some
still are) integrated into the kernel are properly what is called
"OSS/Free".

That's not important though. The code under under sound/core/{,seq}/oss
is the ALSA OSS emulation and the code under sound/oss, including the
sound/oss/es1371.c that the posted patch recreated, is real OSS.

> When I look in the OSS item in make menuconfig for the kernel, it is
> just legacy drivers.

Yes. That code is kept around only for some corner cases where people
seem to have found something working with the old OSS driver that the
ALSA driver does not handle properly.

> So I wanted to get clarification of my understanding from someone who
> knows. Just had a thought; is the OSS driver self contained, meaning
> that it contains the functionality now in alsa-lib as well as the
> driver?  That would explain everything.

Yes, the OSS drivers are/were fully self-contained, no helper modules
(other than soundcore) and no userspace libraries.

Rene.