Re: is this card supported by ALSA?

On 11-07-08 02:07, Landis McGauhey wrote:

> Success!
> # cd /usr/src/linux-2.6.25.9
> bezdomny:/usr/src/linux-2.6.25.9# patch -p1 --dry-run < /home/bezdomny/0001-OSS-resurrect-ES1371-driver.patch
> patching file sound/oss/Kconfig
> patching file sound/oss/Makefile
> patching file sound/oss/es1371.c
> bezdomny:/usr/src/linux-2.6.25.9# patch -p1 < /home/bezdomny/0001-OSS-resurrect-ES1371-driver.patch
> patching file sound/oss/Kconfig
> patching file sound/oss/Makefile
> patching file sound/oss/es1371.c
>
> I'm now proceeding with make menuconfig and I'll  let you know how it goes.

Oh, great, I was already composing a "compiling from scratch" email but
I'll wait for any possible specific problems then. Please note, I do not
run Debian myself and installing a kernel can be somewhat distribution
specific (such as if you need to generate an initrd) so Debian specific
help is much wanted at that point. There's probably someone here running
debian that could help.

In my original message I also explained to install the module with "make
modules_install" and (after modprobe -r snd-ens1371) load it with
"modprobe es1371" which should produce a bit of output at the end of dmesg.

At that point, you are running "real" OSS, not the ALSA OSS emulation,
and the "mplayer -ao oss foo.wav" should work again (aplay nor alsamixer
would anymore). This stands a fair chance of getting you sound at that
point. If it does not, please find an OSS mixer (aumix, rexima, or
anything you already have installed that can be switched into OSS mode)
to make really, really sure it still doesn't work...

Rene