Re: Bose Companion 5 - any experiences?

David Deutsch <skOre <at> skOre.de> writes:
> Bill Unruh wrote:
[snip]
> > I have no idea what "simulated 5.1" is. You only have two ears. And no
> > number of speakers will alter that.
> >

> Of course not. But what you can do is compute how the sound would come
> out if it were 5 speakers. Yes you have only two ears, with each one,
> you should normally hear each of these 5 the same, but there are small
> differences that make your brain compute where that sound is from. You
> can simulate this (by filters and pitch manipulation iirc) and thus
> create how each of the 5 speakers WOULD sound like to your ear. The
> tricky part now is that this is normally only done for headphones, so I
> guess you would have to put in some more magic for 2 speakers. But I'd
> say that you could come close. Real 5.1 however is only approachable in
> that way since everybody has different ears.

It also comes at the prize of a very specific speaker setup. According to a
review I've read bose recommends that the speakers are about 60cm in front of
you, facing straight ahead, and that the distance between the two is also about
60cm. Anything else and surround sound is gone. However, once you have that
setup the guy says it would sound as if that chopper would be coming from behind
you :)

Uli