Re: Bose Companion 5 - any experiences?

Bose is known to color sound in a certain way. Its called the "bose
sound". In the end its down to whether you like it or not. You should
definitely do some thorough testing.

Wanting "optimal" sound at 400$ plus surround sound is ludicrous. You
will indeed be far better off buying decent headphones for that money.
Beginner monitor speakers (not the hifi but studio speakers) barely
start around that price, 2.0 setups mind you.

The 5.1 is most likely created by psychoacoustic effects, so it can
always only be simulated 5.1 - without a sub: no .1! ;-)